National Children's Advocacy Center Honors SWFAC Director with Outstanding Service Award
One with Courage
a national initiative centered around the courage it takes to talk about child sexual abuse and the unique role children’s advocacy centers play in providing comprehensive, coordinated and compassionate services to child victims of abuse.
Putting the needs of child abuse victims first
The Southwest Family Advocacy Center is a child and family focused, facility-based program in which representatives from many disciplines, including law enforcement, child protection, prosecution, mental health, medical and victim advocacy, work together to conduct interviews and make team decisions about investigation, treatment, management and prosecution of child abuse cases, sexual assault, domestic violence and elder abuse. They also work to prevent further victimization of children.
The Southwest Family Advocacy Center is an associate chapter of the National Children's Alliance.
The Southwest Family Advocacy Center is committed to coordinating and tracking investigative, prosecutorial, child protection, advocacy, and treatment efforts so that a case does not "fall through the cracks". We are dedicated to preventing abuse through comprehensive primary prevention approaches that reduce vulnerability to victimization, reduce offending behaviors, increase the positive influence of bystanders, and address conditions in society that perpetuate violence and abuse.
The National Children's Alliance is a membership organization dedicated to helping local communities respond to allegations of child abuse in ways that are effective and efficient – and put the needs of child victims first.
Benefits to Victims
- Secondary trauma experienced by victims is reduced.
- Parents are empowered to protect and support their children.
- Allegations of abuse and neglect are more thoroughly investigated through a team of multi-disciplinary professionals.
- Advocates and therapists provide prompt and ongoing emotional support, information and crisis counseling that is tailored to their family needs.
- Trained interviewers and medical professionals collect vital evidence.